When nitro brew coffee was just starting to take off a few years back in popularity, we were busy developing the perfect recipe for making it at home. Although we perfected the recipe and released our flavorful cans of nitro brew coffee, we thought why not reveal our recipe so you can make it at home too?
Now that nitro cold brew is all the rage, it is the perfect time to learn how to make it at home. But first, you have to know what nitro cold brew coffee actually is.
Nitro cold brew coffee is coffee infused with 100% nitrogen gas. The nitrogen infusion gives the coffee it’s signature-rich and creamy head that you can see on top of a Guinness. Since Nitrogen bubbles are smaller than carbon dioxide bubbles, the results give you a luxurious mouthfeel.
Nitro coffee also gets its signature sweet taste thanks to nitrogen infusion – yes nitrogen tastes sweet when you add it to your coffee.
While a lot of upscale coffee shops infuse nitrogen into their cold brew using a tap system, we figured out that you could get almost the same results by using a cream whipper. Sure you are not going to get the perfect nitrogen coffee look and taste with a cannister, but it is quite close – so close that you can’t really tell the difference.
The metal canister of the cream whipper has a dispensing nozzle that whips the cream on liquids using a pressurized nitrous oxide cartridges. Bear in mind that canisters don’t hold true nitrogen inside them, which is why the coffee may appear different from the one you get in stores.
But there is one huge benefit of making nitro coffee using a canister – you can have the brew ready within 1 hour instead of waiting 24 hours. We’ll show you how you can make the perfect nitro brew coffee at home using a cream whipper as well as through a keg system.
Crafting Nitro Brew Coffee with Cream Whipper Canister
To produce nitro-cold brew at home, you’ll first need to craft a cold-brew concentrate. To do this, simply dilute the coffee with an equal amount of water before drinking and steep it for 24 hours. Or you can use the method below to get the same brew in just an hour.
- Combine 9 ounces of coarsely ground coffee and 3 ½ cups of cool water in a 1-liter cream whipper (use 7 Cold Brew Coffee Beans for best results)
- Seal the whipper
- Charge the canister with 2 nitrous oxide cartridges and shake it for 30 seconds
- Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes
- Now discharge the gas by lightly pressing the depressing trigger while holding the cup near the nozzle
- Repeat this step with 2 more nitrous oxide cartridges
- Do a final 30-second shake
- Let the coffee stand for one hour before you discharge the gas again
- Open the canister and decant the concentrate through a coffee filter into a jar or mug
If you want a stronger brew of your iced coffee than we highly recommend going for the 24-hour steeping method. Most people who like their coffee bold prefer going with the 24-hour steep method while those who enjoy milder coffee prefer the 1-hour method.
Now that you have your coffee concentrate ready, you can move to make it nitro-brew. To do that, simply –
- Add the coffee into the cream whipper and seal it
- Charge the canister with one more nitrous oxide charger
- Shake the canister for 30 seconds
- Now discharge the gas
- Open the canister and pour it into a glass.
- 4 Super Easy Nitro Cold Brew Tropical Recipes to Try at Home
- 5 Simple at Home Recipes to Try With Cold Brew Concentrate
- How to Make Spiced Cold Brew Coffee
Making True Nitro-Cold Brew Coffee at Home
- While the canister method gets you a decent nitro-brew at home, nothing beats the old-fashioned way of making the brew using kegs.
7coldbrew offers high-quality kegerators with our signature craft beverages as part of the subscription services we offer. What is a kegerator? It is basically a refrigerator that has been specifically designed to store and dispense our kegs, hence we named it a kegerator.
- We offer both nitro cold brew kegs, craft tea kegs, and kombucha kegs. To get the perfect nitro-brew coffee at home with 100% true nitrogen gas, get the kegerator today. We provide free shipping and installation.
You can use the kegerator to make nitro cold brew coffee in minutes. You just have to add the cold-brew concentrate in the kegerator and let it do its job. Extract the coffee through the taps and you’ll have the best nitro-brew coffee that tastes, smells, and looks like store-bought.
Enjoy Nitro Brew Coffee at Home Without the Hassle
- Don’t like the idea of making nitro brew coffee at home? We understand the method and recipes on the internet can be complex and sometimes all you want is a good glass of cold brew coffee. If comfort is what you are looking for, we invite you to test our canned nitro-brew coffee.
Our nitro-brew coffee is offered in more than 5 flavors ranging from vanilla, original-camo, original, chocolate, and caramel. If you can’t decide on a flavor, you can buy our variety 4-pack coffee which includes our top 4 flavors for just $16.
- The best part is that you will get the cans delivered to your door for free! All our cans are made with the finest coffee that is locally roasted in San Diego, California. Every single batch is handcrafted, never heated, and always cold.
You can also find our cans in many grocery stores and restaurants. Check the store locator for the nearest vendor today.